The company was founded by John Lucas in 1895.
After the death of John Lucas in 1935 the company was taken over by Lewis Samworth who had been employed by the company from the age of sixteen as an apprentice carpenter.
Lewis Samworth was a well respected chartered builder and funeral director and was actively involved in the company until his late eighties. In 1980 he was awarded an MBE for services to the Cathedral and the local community.
In the past John Lucas (Peterborough) Limited built a number of properties in and around Peterborough, including many public houses and churches:
The Northfield Inn, The Fox and Hounds, The City Arms, The Royal Arms, The Norfolk Inn, and The Comet.
St Oswalds Roman Catholic Church, Our Lady Of Lourdes Church, Dogsthorpe Methodist Church, Christchurch and St. Judes Church.
Peterborough’s first Technical College in Broadway (which is now The College Arms public house) was also built by the company together with several private houses in the area.
John Lucas (Peterborough) Limited has carried out a lot of the day-to-day maintenance and restoration work at Peterborough Cathedral for many years and continues to do so today.